couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration Load Order
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:42:39 GMT

On 18 Jul 2011, at 19:23, Ladislav Thon wrote:

> I encountered this behavior some time ago too, but I don't think that there
> is a problem in _read_ order. In fact, the current one is in line with what
> I and hopefully others would expect (*.d directories usually overrides the
> stuff above them).

We are in agreement.

It is my experience that *.d directories are usually read after other things. I modelled the
current behaviour on my experience with other Sys-V system packages. I think that the read
order behaves in a standard way, and I am hesitant to change it.

> What is wrong is the place where (some) _writes_ go. Don't know if possible,
> but, continuing in your example, changes in geocouch config should go to
> geocouch.ini, other changes to local.ini. Or maybe changes to existing key
> should go to the file from where it was effectively read, new keys to
> local.ini. Or maybe this is way too complicated :-)

Also agreed.

There is obviously a problem in where we write back to. But I don't necessarily think this
means we need to break implicit compatibility with system behaviour expectations. Perhaps
a way to solve it would be to write out to a generated.ini file that is loaded last.