couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <>
Subject Re: make error with latest trunk (ICU related autotools config)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:51:22 GMT

On 13 Jun 2011, at 22:57, Paul Davis wrote:

>> Next time I make big autotools changes ill solicit more feedback on the
>> branch before I put it on trunk.
> I would actually argue that you shouldn't bother. The build system is
> always a little peculiar because no one has access to the large number
> of configuration combinations that users have. As long as you don't
> make a habit of continually breaking it I don't think its a huge deal.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Paul always goes on about how I'm some Autotools guru. But the real truth of the matter is
that I just broke the damn thing so many times that eventually it worked for most people,
most of the time.

It's almost impossible to know that any particular change is going to work for everybody.
There are some pretty "unique" systems out there. I always took a very organic approach to
the build system. Check in what you think looks right, and then wait for people to tell you
how you managed to screw things up this time.
View raw message