couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: make couchdb more otpish
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:19:47 GMT
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2011, at 17:55, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> It would on the contrary conciliate
>> both targets and I think can provide an easy way to build a release
>> while being more erlangish.
>
> As I have said before, if we can make the Erlang part of the CouchDB build more Erlangish,
I am all for that, as long as it doesn't reach up into the rest of the build system and force
us to make harmful changes.

OK let's try something around that then.

https://github.com/refuge/rcouch_template

>> Some are yes. And this is a tangential argument. I think the
>> opensource project should offer the base to be built everywhere and/or
>> ease the work of integrators (ie not binding it to closely to any
>> packaging system).
>
> I agree that we need to be able to package the Erlang part of CouchDB as an OTP application.
Which means that the project, as a whole, will be bound to GNU Autotools, and, it looks like,
rebar. These are standard packaging systems, and if a downstream distributor cannot work with
them, the downstream distributer has bigger problems to address.