couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:56:57 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 19:13, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> +0 docbook
>> +1 REST
>
> Seriously, let's not fall into this trap.
>
> And let us not be seduced by so called "plain text" formats.
>
> We made this mistake on the book and I'm in no rush to repeat it.

Sorry to contribute to the bikeshed, but I'm just going to get this
off my chest.

>From your email, this seems like a false generalization, at least,
going from AsciiDoc to all "plain text" formats. I don't know if
you've used reStructuredText, but it's seriously flexible and comes
with good (easily customizable) latex and html conversion out of the
box. I understand DocBook is awesome for print things, but experience
has also shown that DocBook has a significantly higher barrier to
entry. Going from a wiki to DocBook is like moving to the entire other
end of the scale (okay, going with latex would be worse). You had a
bad experience with AsciiDoc, but Sphinx is just awesome.

Cheers,

Dirkjan