couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:51:31 GMT
On 15 June 2011 08:25, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2011, at 21:05, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> On the lowest level, we will not require any DocBook knowledge. For
>> the folks who want to make awesome docs, we should give them the best
>> tools and I think we found a solution here.
>
> Agreed.
>
> If someone sends us a a great text file with tons of useful stuff in it but no formatting
whatsoever, I will happily turn that into DocBook for them.

+1 to this thread; improving docs was on my list of Things We Should
Have Sorted at CouchCamp. In summary are we saying:

* leveraging CouchBase's stuff & staff
* commit requires documentation
* releases to include full API doc
* use a strong backend i.e. docbook
* have a frontend that enables simple contribution/commenting (the
Definitive Guide is perfect for me - issues go to a ticketing system)
* providing a clear & visible lower barrier of entry than XML (even if
it means us reformatting contributions)

I think we'd need to cover:
* build solid "core" docs first incl APIs & solid examples
* sort out http://couchdb.apache.org/ as well (thought davisp would
have mentioned this already)
* update the Definitive Guide especially the example couchapp sofa
which is super out of date

I have a few personal things to do in next 3 months, but after that
put some real & long-term effort into this.

Finally, it would be cool if CouchDB came with an embedded docs.couch
- maybe even as a CouchApp, and updated itself by replicating. But
thats a poor second to having good documentation in the first place.
One step at a time.

A+
Dave