couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SpiderMonkey Version Support
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:54:58 GMT
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Randall Leeds <randall@apache.org> wrote:
> I recently committed a patch from Chris Coulson to support the new
> 1.8.5 release of SpiderMonkey[1].
>
> While some effort was put into supporting the breaking changes from
> 1.8.5 and it's been verified that the new trunk couchjs builds against
> the rest of the 1.8 series, Bob Dionne discovered that compatibility
> with 1.7 is now broken.
>
> <davisp> You dropped support for 1.7?
> <tilgovi> davisp: apparenty!
> <tilgovi> what's the 1.0.x branch say in INSTALL.*?
> <davisp> tilgovi: On purpose though?
> <tilgovi> no
> <davisp> I'm really confused
> <tilgovi> not on purpose
> <davisp> 1.7 I'm guessing
> <tilgovi> also, I didn't backport this
> <tilgovi> so, this is only on trunk
> <davisp> 1.8
> <davisp> I guess its lying
> <tilgovi> I guess it's lying.
> <davisp> tilgovi: Sure, I would've screamed at yo otherwise
> <tilgovi> thoughts on not bothering to try and support 1.7?
> <davisp> tilgovi: I'm of two minds on whether I want to drop 1.7 support
> <tilgovi> might be super easy
> <davisp> But I think jan____ said he wanted 1.7 support in 1.2 so I said, "k"
>
> So 1.0.x, 1.1.x and trunk all seem to say we require SpiderMonkey 1.8,
> but up until this patch couchjs ran against 1.7.
> Should I back out the patch and try to fix compatibility with 1.7 or not bother?
>
> -Randall
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/7b0f330627c9f3ef1ccb9e3ffe1e909e3a27f1bf

I would say if you think its close that you should try and make it
compatible with 1.7 again. I wouldn't immediately jump to backing it
out unless you think it'll take a significant amount of time to bring
back compatibility with 1.7.

On the other hand, if people want to dump 1.7 support I would vote in
favor of dropping support for everything before 1.8.5. The source to
couchjs would be greatly simplified and everything between 1.7 and
1.8.5 was never really an official SM release.