couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <rand...@apache.org>
Subject SpiderMonkey Version Support
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:41:19 GMT
I recently committed a patch from Chris Coulson to support the new
1.8.5 release of SpiderMonkey[1].

While some effort was put into supporting the breaking changes from
1.8.5 and it's been verified that the new trunk couchjs builds against
the rest of the 1.8 series, Bob Dionne discovered that compatibility
with 1.7 is now broken.

<davisp> You dropped support for 1.7?
<tilgovi> davisp: apparenty!
<tilgovi> what's the 1.0.x branch say in INSTALL.*?
<davisp> tilgovi: On purpose though?
<tilgovi> no
<davisp> I'm really confused
<tilgovi> not on purpose
<davisp> 1.7 I'm guessing
<tilgovi> also, I didn't backport this
<tilgovi> so, this is only on trunk
<davisp> 1.8
<davisp> I guess its lying
<tilgovi> I guess it's lying.
<davisp> tilgovi: Sure, I would've screamed at yo otherwise
<tilgovi> thoughts on not bothering to try and support 1.7?
<davisp> tilgovi: I'm of two minds on whether I want to drop 1.7 support
<tilgovi> might be super easy
<davisp> But I think jan____ said he wanted 1.7 support in 1.2 so I said, "k"

So 1.0.x, 1.1.x and trunk all seem to say we require SpiderMonkey 1.8,
but up until this patch couchjs ran against 1.7.
Should I back out the patch and try to fix compatibility with 1.7 or not bother?

-Randall

[1] https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/7b0f330627c9f3ef1ccb9e3ffe1e909e3a27f1bf