couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Archiving old releases
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:20:34 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about we keep 1.1.0, 1.0.2 and 0.11.2 then?
>
> When 1.0.3 is released, we'll archive 1.0.2 at least. I don't think we
> should be encouraging downloads of 0.11.2, so I'd like to archive it
> soon.
>
> B.

Yes, this is exactly what I was proposing.

> On 6 June 2011 16:58, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 Jun 2011, at 16:32, Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>>> To reiterate some points. Tony Stevenson tells me the infrastructure
>>> policy is, "We expect PMcs to only keep 1 copy of each branch/major
>>> version, anything else should be archived."
>>
>> Where did he tell you this? Is it on a mailing list somewhere? My concern here is
that the official Apache policy is actually decidedly vague on the matter. Which I have always
interpreted as being quite intentional, so that projects can decide for themselves what the
policy should be.

>>> I have been instructed to
>>> specifically remove 0.11.0, 0.11.1, and 1.0.1 from the dist directory
>>> under threat of cattle prod and apparently cuddle kitties.
>>
>> Again, where?
>>
>> This stuff should be happening on the mailing lists.
>>
>> I agree that this makes sense, but I have been concerned for a while that in doing
so, there maybe be certain circumstances where some technical detail means that not providing
a smooth bugfix upgrade path may cause problems. That was one of the primary things I was
hoping to clarify by starting this discussion.

>> Anyone see a problem with this?
>>
>>> As to what's listed in downloads.html I'll leave that to the bike
>>> shedding except to point out there's no policy I know of that prevents
>>> us from linking to the archived versions.
>>
>> These two things are the same. The policy is that the downloads.html page must link
through to the mirrors, to reduce the load on the Apache servers. So whatever we remove from
the dist directory needs to be removed from this page.