couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject make couchdb more otpish
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 06:25:26 GMT
Hi all,

I'm back on this topic. I know that @davisp made a script to split the
file structure etc, but I wonder why or what we are waiting to do
this. Also why using a script when we could move everything once? (and
it should be done once imo)

For the record i'm working with a month or two on rcouch and its last
version in rcouch_templates [1] wich have splitted couch in some
modules (couchjs, snappy, ejson) and in the same time allowed couch to
be more otpish somehow. Maybe some tried it? Anyway I currently asking
myself how we want to integrate things with couch and autotools for
now. WHat is the file structure we want. Actually everything is in src
even external libs.

I propose to do smth like

src/couch sources
include/
priv/
libs/{mochiweb, snappy, oauth, ejson, ibrowse, ..} (or deps/)
c_src/{couchjs, icu, spawnkillable?}
etc/
tests/
bin/couch
other files (with autoconfstuff)

Related topic, I would like to introduce a rel/ folder that would
allows us to build a real erlang release that would allows us to
install couchdb system wide or create any dev release, wich again
would be more otpish.  We could also add the possibility to handle
custom templates for that which would make maintainer and distributors
happy. Most of these changes are already or rcouch so I would be glad
to port them to this build system.

What do you think about it ?

- benoît