couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New write performance optimizations coming
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:07:50 GMT
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 03:36, Robert Dionne
> <dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
>> This is interesting work, I notice some substantial changes to couch_btree, a new
query_modify_raw, etc..

>> I'm wondering though if we'd be better off to base these changes on the re factored
version of couch_btree that davisp has[1]. I haven't looked at it too closely or tested with
it but if I recall the goal was first to achieve
>> a more readable version with identical semantics so that we could then move forward
with improvements.

>> [1] https://github.com/davisp/couchdb/commit/37c1c9b4b90f6c0f3c22b75dfb2ae55c8b708ab1
>>

> I think the only thing holding that back was a good benchmarking.
> Can we throw these new benchmarks at that branch?

The concerns expressed last time were due to the switch to using the
cmp_keys function. I think it was Randall that had the idea to rewrite
the get_node write_node functions to do something in ets to try and
focus in on testing just the btree changes.

I'd also note that I haven't pulled in the recent changes from trunk
that include data sizes and compression into the new branch, so it'll
need a bit of work there as well.