couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:31:00 GMT
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2011, at 13:55, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>> What percentage of useful wiki edits were made by committers vs non-committers?
>>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation
>
> Not sure how this is relevant.
>
> If we decommission the wiki we are putting up barriers to contribution from non-committers.
So it is arguably worth while understanding exactly what that means for us. How many people
have contributed in the past who could not have contributed if this had been the case?

The mode of contribution changes. There is nothing that will suddenly
prevent people from contributing. Its just that making a contribution
becomes a JIRA issue instead of a wiki update. Under that light your
question becomes, "How many people contributed to the wiki that
couldn't manage to fill out a JIRA issue?"

The only way to truly understand what it'd be like to use the new
system would be to build it and start using it in preference to the
wiki. If it dies a gruesome death, then the wiki won. If not then
eventually we'll say "Oh look, the wiki still sucks and we have all of
this glorious, glorious documentation. How fabulous!" And then we will
drink tea from small cups on saucers with an appropriately extended
pinky finger and a monocle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Barack_Obama#Mention_of_conspiracy_theories_in_the_article.3F