couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:42:45 GMT

On 14 Jun 2011, at 18:39, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2011, at 17:29, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> That said, I'd not keep the docs in the CouchDB source repo, but on the side (like
site/) and only pull things together on release-time.

> Disagree very strongly.
>
> If you don't include the docs within the CouchDB instance directory, then we will have
no record of the docs at a point in time. Say, if you wanted to see the docs for CouchDB 1.3,
specifically.

I don't see how we can't have release branches and tags on the doc repo in the same way we
have on src repo.

> Secondly, if they're no in the instance directory, then you cannot build them. That means
that people doing a source checkout will not be able to build the docs without going to special
lengths. And it means that we wont be able to include them in the release artefacts, because
you can't be pulling things from outside the source tree.

I'm happy to cook up a submodule or repo-based solution that abstracts all that away or reduces
it to a minimum, one-time hoop.

>> I'd also propose to not bother with SVN on this one as long as the technical side
of things is taken care of (Paul?).

> Not sure what you mean here.

ASF is starting to roll out git infrastructure. If we go for a new repo, I'd say we skip SVN
provided the foundation for that is solid. Since Paul is championing this on the ASF side,
I'd like to hear his take on this.

Cheers
Jan