couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:23:42 GMT

On 14 Jun 2011, at 19:02, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2011, at 17:42, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> I don't see how we can't have release branches and tags on the doc repo in the same
way we have on src repo.

> We could also split out the main Erlang files into a separate top level directory, and
version that, and keep it in sync with the main branches and release tags. And we could do
it for Futon too. But doing so would be a complete nightmare, and it serves no practical purpose.

> Seriously, this is the wrong direction. If we're shipping the docs with the release artefact,
then they should be part of the source tree. Just like the main code, Futon, the system infrastructure
stuff, the unit tests, and everything else that comprises an official release.

I'd actually argue that with Futon it'd be a great idea as would be the contrib/ dir and probably
others. All the problems you and Robert outline can be solved by proper tooling. Android is
using the "repo" tool, as we do at Couchbase and it does all of the above and makes for a
decent experience (please refrain from horror stories about this or other tools in order to
keep this thread on track).

That said, I will no longer advocate the separate repository option. If we find issues with
docs in the source tree down the road, we can still opt for something else.

Cheers
Jan