couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: make couchdb more otpish
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:34:08 GMT

On 21 Jun 2011, at 17:55, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> It would on the contrary conciliate
> both targets and I think can provide an easy way to build a release
> while being more erlangish.

As I have said before, if we can make the Erlang part of the CouchDB build more Erlangish,
I am all for that, as long as it doesn't reach up into the rest of the build system and force
us to make harmful changes.

> Sorry but no. I've actually a system that work on every platform
> (except for windows right now) without using autotools and
> independently of the platform with all the feature (and more) we have
> in couch. I'm not trivializing this effort at all. But I'm not
> considering it so complicated to achieve.

Where is the code? I would like to see this system.

> Some are yes. And this is a tangential argument. I think the
> opensource project should offer the base to be built everywhere and/or
> ease the work of integrators (ie not binding it to closely to any
> packaging system).

I agree that we need to be able to package the Erlang part of CouchDB as an OTP application.
Which means that the project, as a whole, will be bound to GNU Autotools, and, it looks like,
rebar. These are standard packaging systems, and if a downstream distributor cannot work with
them, the downstream distributer has bigger problems to address.