couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Trivial Update of "CouchDB_in_the_wild" by wentforgold
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:48:23 GMT

On 14 Jun 2011, at 18:45, Jens Rantil wrote:

> Just throwing in my 2 cents in this discussion.
>
> On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
> /doc
> /doc/docbook
> /doc/docbook/root.xml
> /doc/docbook/ch1.xml
> /doc/docbook/ch2.xml
> /doc/docbook/ch3.xml
> /doc/Makefile.am
>
> You get the idea. The Makefile.am would contain a bunch of rules that would allow us
to convert this DocBook into plain text, DocBook, man, info, LaTeX, PostScript, and PDF as
needed. All very straight forward.

> Is really writing documentation XML the best we can come up with? How about using 'pandoc'
(http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/) to write documentation in restructuredText, markdown or
textile instead? They are all way easier to read and write for newcomers.

They are also not capable of structuring documentation exhaustively. I hate XML as much as
the next guy, but MC's doc system is really slick and not as bad once the basic infrastructure
is in place (I'll show it soon, promised).

Cheers
Jan