couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: init.d/couchdb
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 18:29:50 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:05, till <till@php.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 May 2011, at 18:40, till wrote:
>>
>>> I think since the 127 comes from su, it doesn't even get to create
>>> .out and .err. I see them nowhere. Even after changing it to
>>> /tmp/couchdb.out (etc.).
>>>
>>> Googling says, "127 - a command could not be found", but I was unable
>>> to find a dedicated list of exit codes related to su.
>>
>> Have you tried with another command?
>>
>> What does this give you:
>>
>> su couchdb -c "echo test"
>>

> Great success:
> foo:~# su -c couchdb -c 'echo "foo"'
> foo

Can you try changing

su $COUCHDB_USER -c "$command"

su $COUCHDB_USER -c "cd \$HOME && $command"

and report back?

I think I've seen something like this before.
CouchDB start scripts use the "find" command to look for .ini files in
the configuration directory.
Unfortunately, find tries to read the current directory (even if it's
not the target root directory for the search) and will die with
permission errors.
Since `su` doesn't change the cwd by default, find may be invoked in
your home directory (or wherever) which the couchdb user has no
permission read.