couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From till <t...@php.net>
Subject Re: init.d/couchdb
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 17:40:26 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23 May 2011, at 17:47, till wrote:
>
>> I think su -c foo etc. is fundamentally wrong.
>
> Why?
>
>> In the end, it's why there's start-stop-daemon.
>
> This is one solution to the problem of starting and stopping daemons. There are many
solutions. We have one already. One that has been working for a number of years. The system
infrastructure has been one of the most stable parts of CouchDB since it was originally added.

>> foo:~# su couchdb -c /usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o /dev/null -e /dev/null -r 5
>
> In the script, we have:
>
> su $COUCHDB_USER -c "$command"
>
> So your example will fail because it is not quoted.
>
>> foo:~# su couchdb -c "/usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o /dev/null -e /dev/null -r 5"
>> foo:~# echo $?
>> 127
>
> So there's an error starting CouchDB. What is it?

I really copied everything that was output. ;-)

You tell me what 127 is. I think it's an exit code from su.

> Try this instead, and report back what you see:
>
> su couchdb -c "/usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o couchdb.out -e couchdb.err -r 5"
> echo $?
> cat couchdb.out
> cat couchdb.err

I think since the 127 comes from su, it doesn't even get to create
.out and .err. I see them nowhere. Even after changing it to
/tmp/couchdb.out (etc.).

Googling says, "127 - a command could not be found", but I was unable
to find a dedicated list of exit codes related to su.

Til