couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Marcos Ortiz <mlor...@uci.cu>
Subject Re: Build CouchDB process and Erlang HiPE(High Performance Erlang)
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 21:18:56 GMT
On 05/23/2011 04:04 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> Cloudant used to run with +native across the board.  It made more efficient use of the
CPU, but definitely introduced segfaults.  These were fixed in R14 [1], but we never tried
it again.  Best,

> Adam
>
> [1]: https://github.com/erlang/otp/commit/8bbcec
>
> On May 23, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Damien Katz wrote:
>
>> I tried recently compiling everything in src/couchdb with +native. I
>> didn't hit stability problems, but everything was significantly slower.
>> This was a recent Erlang built 64bit erlang on OS X. I think the 32bit
>> native might give better results, but it wasn't encouraging.
>>

>> -Damien
>>

>> On 5/23/11 12:21 PM, "Marcos Ortiz"<mlortiz@uci.cu>  wrote:
>>
>>> regards,
>>> I was reading a great post from Jack Moffit´s blog about "Speed Up
>>> Ejabberd" and one thing that he told there is the use of the native code
>>> compiler (HiPE) for CPU hungry modules on this way:
>>> cd src/
>>> erlc  +native module_code.erl
>>>
>>> Have you tested the CouchDB´s source code with HiPE?
>>> It would be nice to have these results on any case
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>>> Software Engineer (Large-Scaled Distributed Systems)
>>> University of Information Sciences,
>>> La Habana, Cuba
>>> Linux User # 418229
>>> http://about.me/marcosortiz

So, then the recomendation is to use the most recent Erlang version to
test this? Here this is my environment:
erl
Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4) [source] [64-bit] [rq:1] [async-threads:0]
[hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.7.4  (abort with ^G)

This comes with Ubuntu-10.10 now.