couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Gabor Ratky <rg...@rgabostyle.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 release
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 14:38:15 GMT
Those who develop on Mac OS X and have installed CouchDB using Homebrew [1], should do the
following to test CouchDB 1.1.0 with their applications:

`brew update` # Make sure you have the latest formulae
`brew edit couchdb` # Edit the CouchDB formula using $EDITOR

and replace the following line:

url 'https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tarball/1.0.2'

with:

url 'http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.0/apache-couchdb-1.1.0.tar.gz' # can also
use 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.1.0' if you'd rather do an SVN checkout
of the 1.1.0 tag

Finally,

`brew remove couchdb` # Remove the installed stable CouchDB 1.0.2
`brew install couchdb` # Build and install CouchDB 1.1.0 from Bob's 1.1.0 tarball

All databases will be intact and immediately available with CouchDB 1.1.0. Subsequently removing
CouchDB 1.1.0 and undoing the changes made to the formula will make it easy to go back to
1.0.2. Later, when the official release happens, the canonical formula will be updated by
someone and signed off @mxcl or @adamv (core maintainers of Homebrew).

The only thing that might affect your development environment is the new database format the
CouchDB 1.1.0 migrates to during a database compaction. Those database files will not be understood
by 1.0.2 and will have to be recreated or replicated from a backup database (possibly between
different versions of CouchDB).

Let me know if you have questions or something is not clear, I'm more than happy to help with
Homebrew / CouchDB build/install issues.

Gabor

PS It seems the version number has not been set correctly yet, `couchdb -V` returns 'couchdb
- Apache CouchDB 1.2.0a-' for me

[1] http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew (if you are not using Homebrew yet, you should seriously
consider!)