couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: init.d/couchdb
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 17:07:14 GMT

On 23 May 2011, at 17:47, till wrote:

> I think su -c foo etc. is fundamentally wrong.

Why?

> In the end, it's why there's start-stop-daemon.

This is one solution to the problem of starting and stopping daemons. There are many solutions.
We have one already. One that has been working for a number of years. The system infrastructure
has been one of the most stable parts of CouchDB since it was originally added.

> foo:~# su couchdb -c /usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o /dev/null -e /dev/null -r 5

In the script, we have:

su $COUCHDB_USER -c "$command"

So your example will fail because it is not quoted.

> foo:~# su couchdb -c "/usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o /dev/null -e /dev/null -r 5"
> foo:~# echo $?
> 127

So there's an error starting CouchDB. What is it?

Try this instead, and report back what you see:

su couchdb -c "/usr/local/bin/couchdb -b -o couchdb.out -e couchdb.err -r 5"
echo $?
cat couchdb.out
cat couchdb.err