couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Bisbee <...@sbisbee.com>
Subject Re: Debian package 0.11.0 stable?
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:17:48 GMT
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2011, at 17:09, Jens Rantil wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that there is very little activity on Debian packaging of Apache CouchDB.
The latest version of is 0.11.0 for both Debian stable, unstable and testing.

> This is depressing. I thought some people had stepped up to maintain this package. What
happened with that. Are you peeps still out there?

Yup, I'm right here. :)

What happened was Debian's release policies and technical committee
flew in the face of everything we were trying to do. They weren't even
supposed to release 0.11 into stable according to their guidelines
because stepping to it from 0.8 was going to break code. They wanted
me to back port security fixes from 0.11 and 1.x into 0.8. Then they
got upset that 0.8 ever made it into stable. THEN the whole
desktop-couch and Ubuntu initiative somehow took over. To summarize, I
became disinterested in maintaining the package under Debian, but
might be interested in maintaining a separate one.

I believe I spoke with Sergei that I was stepping back, but that could
be a faulty memory. I assume that Sergei hasn't been working on it and
that Debian's release team auto-pushed 0.11 into stable.

These days I just install from source. Like I said, I could be coerced
into offering unofficial .deb's, but would be more interested in
seeing either CouchDB or a supportive company picking up the fight
with or without my help.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee