couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Development environment
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:10:30 GMT
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Andrey Somov
<trophybase@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> in order to understand how CouchDB works I want be able to run the
> application under debugger. Unfortunately it does not look like an easy
> task.
> The information provided on the wiiki (
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Running%20CouchDB%20in%20Dev%20Mode) may be
> enough for a
> professional Erlang developer but it is not enough for anyone who learns
> Erlang together with CouchDB.
> I could not find any resource which gives step-by-step instructions on how
> to organise an effective development environment for CouchDB.
>
> Can someone point me to such a guide/tutorial/manual/screencast ?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrey

Getting deps on Ubuntu (maybe debian?)

$ sudo apt-get build-deps couchdb

On OS X with Homebrew you should only need to do something like:

$ brew install erlang
$ brew install spidermonkey
$ brew install icu4c && brew link icu4c

Then for CouchDB:

$ mkdir -p ~/code && cd code
$ svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/trunk couchdb
$ # alternatively: git clone git://git.apache.org/couchdb.git
$ cd couchdb
$ ./bootstrap && ./configure && make dev
$ ./utils/run