couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <simonmet...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:51:01 GMT
Hi,

On 9 Feb 2011, at 08:29, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

>> It's not clear to me that couchdb would benefit by bundling
>> "clustering" and "search". Lucene has an approach that might work for
>> us, namely where there's an explicit "core" project, with a number of
>> supplementary parts. Releases are aligned for all of them, but the
>> separation is pretty clear.
>>
> I agree, wasn't speaking to make a bundle, but we could have "official
> plugins" supported by the apache project like hadoop or solr have.

Something like Apache Extras might be of interest (though afaict it's really just a branded
google code). https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches

At the very least I think specific couchapps (implementations of wikis, blogs etc) should
be encouraged to go there for hosting. I'm not sure couchdb-lucene, couchapp itself or geocouch
(and other future plugins) are entirely suitable, but I guess it depends on how apache extras
evolve over time.
Cheers
Simon