couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-li...@calftrail.com>
Subject Re: CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:13:11 GMT
Ah, ok. I think it was mostly this in the press FAQ that confused me:

"How will your technologies and products be integrated?
We plan to roll out the blended product line in several stages over the next few months."

What I'm hearing is this Couchbase "blended product" is more or less a line of infrastructure
services that Couchbase the company is weaving together with Apache CouchDB as one component
and Membase as another and the new company's combined wizardry as another. Synergy As A Service
or something, not an actual merging of *projects* into an inseparable tarball.

I apologize for not reading Jan's original email on this thread more thoroughly; I had assumed
it was basically the same press release stuff, but it actually makes this abundantly clear:
"Couchbase will be it's own independent Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached
as dependencies, but adds a few things of its own that warrant being its own project."

That *is* super exciting! These kind of higher-level projects and business models both demonstrate
and promote CouchDB's maturity as The Future of the web. (I was going to say "maturity as
a platform" but let's just be honest here :-)

thanks,
-natevw

On Feb 8, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> A few months ago, I read about BigCouch:
>>    BigCouch = (CouchDB + Amazon Dynamo clustering theory)
>> That sounds neat, and I was getting the impression this was done in Erlang in such
a way it could become part of core and was excited for it.

> It is and there's still a general agreement that it will be. The
> issues holding it back are mostly technical in that we need to
> refactor our source tree which is being held up by things like waiting
> for the new replicator to land.
>
>> Now I'm trying to figure out what Couchbase is, and my reading indicates:
>>    Couchbase = (Memcached + magic) + (CouchDB + ponies)
>>
>> Will these new dependencies make CouchDB harder to compile and use for personal deployments?
How does merging in an in-memory cache provide the clustered resiliency I was hoping would
be possible by using BigCouch? I'd never heard of Membase before last night, so I guess I'm
just feeling a bit like a nervous IT guy hearing the platform he relies on is about to change
in ways he doesn't understand.

> Couchbase is not Apache CouchDB. There are no new dependencies that
> are suddenly going to be required by CouchDB.
>
>> I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what the magic and ponies really were at a code
base level, so I could understand better how they will change things for me and my little
Couch apps. I can tell the CouchOne guys are excited about this, though, and trust it means
good things for the CouchDB community.