couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:40:36 GMT

On 8 Feb 2011, at 17:32, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2011, at 16:14, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>> Still, the problem I have is that it seems like there is a tendency to
>> make releases large; it seems like there's little control against devs
>> wanting to add their "one more thing". Particularly for bugfix
>> releases; from 1.0.1 it took almost 6 months for 1.0.2 to get
>> released. In between, there were a little under 100 revisions on the
>> 1.0.x branch, presumably most of those fixing bugs users could
>> actually run into. It seems valuable to me if the community could have
>> gotten some of these fixes sooner.
> I need someone else to weigh in on this, but I believe the reason was because of a few
critical bugs that were being worked on. And not, as you suggest, because we were suffering
from a Just One More Thing problem. I'd really need Jan or Chris to comment though as I use
them as a conduit for judging this stuff.

Robert already confirmed this, but I'd like to point out that Noah's analysis
is apt.

As for the suggestions for more transparency regarding what new features
are being worked on and when do they land in which version I agree that we
can do better and I'll take on doing some of the legwork here.

I also like the proposed features, but I don't think committing to ship
pony-features without seeing any code is a good idea — just to paint an
extreme, so far nobody suggested that.

View raw message