couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:53:11 GMT
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2011, at 17:32, Noah Slater wrote:
>

>> On 8 Feb 2011, at 16:14, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>>
>>> Still, the problem I have is that it seems like there is a tendency to
>>> make releases large; it seems like there's little control against devs
>>> wanting to add their "one more thing". Particularly for bugfix
>>> releases; from 1.0.1 it took almost 6 months for 1.0.2 to get
>>> released. In between, there were a little under 100 revisions on the
>>> 1.0.x branch, presumably most of those fixing bugs users could
>>> actually run into. It seems valuable to me if the community could have
>>> gotten some of these fixes sooner.
>>
>> I need someone else to weigh in on this, but I believe the reason was because of
a few critical bugs that were being worked on. And not, as you suggest, because we were suffering
from a Just One More Thing problem. I'd really need Jan or Chris to comment though as I use
them as a conduit for judging this stuff.

> Robert already confirmed this, but I'd like to point out that Noah's analysis
> is apt.
>
> --
>
> As for the suggestions for more transparency regarding what new features
> are being worked on and when do they land in which version I agree that we
> can do better and I'll take on doing some of the legwork here.
>
> I also like the proposed features, but I don't think committing to ship
> pony-features without seeing any code is a good idea — just to paint an
> extreme, so far nobody suggested that.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

What is it supposed to mean ? A roadmap is a "a detailed plan to guide
progress toward a goal " . Why couldn't we define goals ?

- benoît