couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:13:31 GMT
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 01:24, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the announce of another /couchdb fork/project embedding couchdb/ I
> think it's the perfect time to define ourself for next releases.
>
> What will be CouchDB 1.2 or 2.0, what do we target, what is our
> timeline. What is the CouchDB core that will be used by other projects
> basically. Having a defined timeline, ie defined deadlines for freeze,
> release, ... is important in this context. It means that releases don't
> depend on external factors: we, the Apache CouchDB project follows its
> own agenda.  There are other reasons for that of course.
>
> So can we try to define this time a good old roadmap? What will be the
> next couchdb?
>
> For me:
>
> - Plugin support
> - improved CouchApp engine
> - Improve possibilities to integrate CouchDB in other projects
> - Clean API, so couchdb features can be called more easily in other
>  erlang programs or plugins
>
> Other feature I wish:
>
> - Official Apache CouchDB clustering layer plug
> - Official Search Plugin based on Apache Lucene that can be used like
>  riak search or cloudant search
>
> ... and you ?
>

> - benoƮt

I agree mostly with Benoit. My priorities are:
- a really good embedding story (android, desktop apps, couchbase, etc ...)
- a really good plugin story (geocouch, lucene search, easy to compile
against couchdb sources)
- a really good build story (particularly android, windows)
- clean internal APIs

-Randall