couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 17:53:49 GMT
Nathan,

I'll clarify what I can for the bits I know about. One important part
of Bigcouch is to be API compatible with couchdb. Obviously there are
some places where this must break down (say, controlling sharding and
r/w/n consistency) but to a large degree, we succeed at that. It's
also straightforward to test it out locally ('make dev', just like
couchdb ). I can't speak for Couchbase, will have to see when it comes
out.

So, to your technical points, as best I can tell, you shouldn't expect
to have a harder time using or testing these products, they should
work well together.

Finally, I cannot reveal how many magic ponies we use in the creation
of Bigcouch, but I can assure you that they are all ethically treated.

B.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Nathan Vander Wilt
<nate-lists@calftrail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>> Congratulations to all of you!
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 07:41, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Instead of dwelling on the merger or technology, I'd like to address likely questions
about the relationship between Couchbase and Apache CouchDB. It is simple, really: at CouchOne
we were 100% committed on the Open Source side of things and at Couchbase we will continue
to do so at the same degree. In terms of organisation, Couchbase will be it's own independent
Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached as dependencies, but adds  a few
things of its own that warrant being its own project. Our combined engineering team, led by
Damien, will continue to contribute to Apache CouchDB in the same way as we've been to date,
only more. I can't wait to share with you what we'll come up with :)

>> And thanks for this summary of the technical side of things.
>
> Could we get a more technical, technical summary here on the list? I appreciate the emphasis
you guys are putting on marketing CouchDB to app developers and stakeholders, but as someone
who's already sold on it, I'm still confused by what Couchbase means for the future of CouchDB.

> A few months ago, I read about BigCouch:
>    BigCouch = (CouchDB + Amazon Dynamo clustering theory)
> That sounds neat, and I was getting the impression this was done in Erlang in such a
way it could become part of core and was excited for it.

> Now I'm trying to figure out what Couchbase is, and my reading indicates:
>    Couchbase = (Memcached + magic) + (CouchDB + ponies)
>
> Will these new dependencies make CouchDB harder to compile and use for personal deployments?
How does merging in an in-memory cache provide the clustered resiliency I was hoping would
be possible by using BigCouch? I'd never heard of Membase before last night, so I guess I'm
just feeling a bit like a nervous IT guy hearing the platform he relies on is about to change
in ways he doesn't understand.

> I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what the magic and ponies really were at a code base
level, so I could understand better how they will change things for me and my little Couch
apps. I can tell the CouchOne guys are excited about this, though, and trust it means good
things for the CouchDB community.