couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:19:18 GMT
We do need to improve at releases, though I think we can all agree
that 1.0.2 was just a particularly difficult one, pretty atypical.

As for roadmap, I can see a need to revisit it. I'm not sure what
should be on it, I suspect everyone has their pet feature or ten to
add. So, I'm wary about fragmenting/diluting what we have by trying to
put too much inside couchdb itself.

Instead, I think Benoit is on to something by talking about
pluggability. At the very least, couchdb can make it easy to embed and
extend it in ways that are minimally likely to be broken by us in
future releases.

It's not clear to me that couchdb would benefit by bundling
"clustering" and "search". Lucene has an approach that might work for
us, namely where there's an explicit "core" project, with a number of
supplementary parts. Releases are aligned for all of them, but the
separation is pretty clear.

B.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 16:57, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> For step 2, we follow the roadmap that is generated in JIRA. That is, the roadmap
is constantly maintained through ticket work and ticket maintenance. A link to this is even
included prominently on the project homepage. We have found that maintaining a HTML roadmap
separately to JIRA is too much trouble. Or, at least, we could infer that from the fact it
was never updated by anyone. The roadmap (as a JIRA view) is effectively discussed on this
list, and then codified through the tickets. I think that's Good Enough. And if it's not,
then maybe we need to be smarter about how we use JIRA.