couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From till <t...@php.net>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:08:06 GMT
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2011, at 09:33, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>
>> Most of all, I want a better schedule/insight into the release
>> process. Even when reading the dev list, it's completely unclear when
>> I might expect the next release or what the blockers are. Releases
>> seem to just keep slipping, or maybe releasing isn't a very big
>> priority, at least that's what it looks like from the outside.
>

> The current release cycle goes something like this:
>
>        a. Make a release
>
>        2. Add features and test them for a while
>
>        d. Schedule a new release following consensus request
>
> It's a little more complex than that.
>
> For step 2, we follow the roadmap that is generated in JIRA. That is, the roadmap is
constantly maintained through ticket work and ticket maintenance. A link to this is even included
prominently on the project homepage. We have found that maintaining a HTML roadmap separately
to JIRA is too much trouble. Or, at least, we could infer that from the fact it was never
updated by anyone. The roadmap (as a JIRA view) is effectively discussed on this list, and
then codified through the tickets. I think that's Good Enough. And if it's not, then maybe
we need to be smarter about how we use JIRA.

> As for step d, this tends to be a consensus based thing. Usually, one of two things will
happen. Either the time since the last release will start to grow too large, or the amount
of features added will. In both instances, discussion usually starts to bubble up on the list,
and this quickly results in a new release being prepared. The only thing that tends to slow
that process down are release blockers. Like the last release. These tend to be heavily discussed
on the list. I also think that this is Good Enough.

> [1] http://s.apache.org/couchdb-roadmap

IMHO a roadmap is defined by more than "there's a new jira issue, we
need to fix it with the next release".

Till