couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Farrell <gsf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spaces in View Names
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:20:53 GMT
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Benjamin Young <benjamin@couchone.com> wrote:
> On 2/14/11 11:50 AM, Gabriel Farrell wrote:
>>
>> If there's a use case for including spaces in view names (I haven't
>> thought of one yet) we could meet that while avoiding whitespace-only
>> names and other tricky issues by trimming leading and trailing spaces
>> before creation.
>
> True, but you could still have two spaces in a name and that could still
> prove confusing.
>
> I'd vote for dropping it as an available character for view names (and maybe
> some other spots like filters, etc).
>
> I can do this easily enough in the UI, but how should we handle things
> "lower down?" By now we've likely got view names floating around installs
> that contain spaces.
>
> That's the bigger questions here, I think.
>
> Thoughts?

Agreed, the handling in the core is a bigger issue. It would be odd
for something to be illegal in futon but not in couch.

Are we starting down a slippery slope here? Until now anything valid
in a JSON string was valid as a view name, right? Do we want to start
validating these strings for view names, and possibly add other
validation requirements and other spots for validation (list, show,
etc.) down the road?