couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Nolan <>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 17:42:36 GMT
> I would like a more formal direction on the future of couchapps.  I am
> unsure how couchapps will proceed, but one thing i would like to see is the
> ability of your basic internet users to be able to form their own couchapps
> by easily integrating other couchapps into their databases, modifying to
> their content (most 'simple' users are content with just basic color and
> image changes).

For example, a user may 'see' something cool on someones elses site/couch
and would like to copy it to theirs.  This 'copying' should be as easy as
humanly possible.  Any complications will only hinder the adoption of
couchapps to the public in my opinion.  Ideally this 'copying' should be
done with a simple push of a button.

This leads me to another need couchapps (and they're couchAPERS) must
discuss - Standardization.  I imagine it will be 'hard' if we don't begin to
standardize some of the aspects of couchapps.  For example - blog posts.
 There should be a standard way of 'inputting' blog posts into ones of
couch, such that others may easily 'replicate' or 'pull from' peoples blogs
and have them appear on their couches.  Of course this 'standardization'
should also not limit ones ability to change the code.

Same thing goes for messaging.  It would be nice if we would start forming a
standardized 'messaging' system such that messages posted on users A blog
will (to steal from Jan) automagically appear on users B blog.  (think
I.R.C. amongst couches).

In short, i believe the future of couchapps depends upon getting your mother
to be able to make her own (and feel like she made her own).