couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-li...@calftrail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0.2 spinner image
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 04:43:33 GMT
Unfortunately GIF doesn't have alpha, so pixels must either be fully transparent or a solid
color. The spinner tries for an antialiased look around the edge despite this, and I wonder
if the original GIF was exported with a darker "background" color shade applied around those
edges. (The original glitchy one comes from http://ajaxload.info/ which allows you to choose
both a background and a foreground color.)

The new spinner you exported looks nice on a white background, but not on a dark. Does Photoshop
have a "matte" setting you can apply as you export, while still saving it with transparency?
If so, I think that would be the thing to try, setting it closer to #333 (the top bar of Futon's
main page) or #6B6B6B (the band in the upload dialog). Unfortunately neither my usual Acorn.app
nor the Pixelmator demo I downloaded have support for exporting animated GIFs.

thanks,
-natevw

On Feb 1, 2011, at 1:04 AM, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
> Hey Dirkjan,
>
> there was a JIRA ticket about the previous spinner image being broken [1]. with my photoshop
(but not existing expertise with it), I exported the reporters PSD. Maybe I did something
wrong here. Unfortunately I didn't noticed it when I tested the export :-/