couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: roadmap
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:44:11 GMT

On 10 Feb 2011, at 17:29, Gabriel Farrell wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You're absolutely right. 1.0.2 was ready to go quite some time ago but
>> several bugs were found as we were releasing. We decided, as a team,
>> that we couldn't ship with the bugs that were found, so we elected to
>> fix them and delay the release. I think that was the right decision.
>> We should only release when we feel the software is ready, not when
>> some ultimately arbitrary day looms.
>
> I completely agree here: there should be no arbitrary release dates.
> However, I'm also in favor of increasing the frequency of minor point
> releases. Node.js is really inspiring in this area, with new minor
> point releases coming out every week or so (ooh, and 0.4.0 just got
> released 6 hours ago!). I know the process for an Apache project has
> more overhead, we don't have a BDFL, and the older community may not
> appreciate a release cycle that's quite so frantic (interpret that as
> you like), but there's still something to be learned from the rapid
> development and enthusiastic community around Node.

Yup, I totally agree with node showing amazing momentum. But they do
have the luxury of being able to break backwards compatibility with
any release, really, and we don't have that :) — I think the 1.0.2 time
frame was an outlier and that we are in pretty good shape to push maintenance
releases quickly, if needed. — Now we only need to demonstrate that :)

Cheers
Jan
--

>> B.

>>> I need someone else to weigh in on this, but I believe the reason was because
of a few critical bugs that were being worked on. And not, as you suggest, because we were
suffering from a Just One More Thing problem. I'd really need Jan or Chris to comment though
as I use them as a conduit for judging this stuff.