couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <>
Subject Re: Spaces in View Names
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:22:21 GMT
On 2/14/11 11:50 AM, Gabriel Farrell wrote:
> If there's a use case for including spaces in view names (I haven't
> thought of one yet) we could meet that while avoiding whitespace-only
> names and other tricky issues by trimming leading and trailing spaces
> before creation.

True, but you could still have two spaces in a name and that could still
prove confusing.

I'd vote for dropping it as an available character for view names (and
maybe some other spots like filters, etc).

I can do this easily enough in the UI, but how should we handle things
"lower down?" By now we've likely got view names floating around
installs that contain spaces.

That's the bigger questions here, I think.

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Jan Lehnardt<>  wrote:
>> Hi Benjamin,
>> On 14 Feb 2011, at 16:52, Benjamin Young wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> It's currently possible to include space characters in View names, so your map/reduce
URL can (actually) look like this:
>>> /db/_design/app/_view/
>>> (there are 5 spaces at the end of that partial "URL")
>>> Encoded it would look like this:
>>> /db/_design/app/_view/%20%20%20%20%20
>>> Needless to say this could be potentially quite confusing--though I suppose we
could consider it an obfuscation option. :/
>>> Should this be considered a "bug" and avoided in future views? or just considered
an option that one should be careful when using?
>>> This came to my attention as Futon currently adds %20's to the names when displayed
in dropdowns. Futon2, however, doesn't currently do that--making it nearly impossible to click
the name of the view above--it at least looks like a bug in the UI.
>>> Additionally, when editing documents with a view named with all spaces, the keys
are displayed as un-viewable whitespace until you edit that chunk. In Futon2 it's currently
impossible to edit that piece of the document (as you can't click it).
>>> As I'm working on Futon2, I'm wanting to determine what's the best way to handle
spaces in view names. Should they be removed as an option for that portion of the URL going
forward? Should Futon2 escape them in any visual reference to them (as Futon1 currently does
in most cases)?
>>> Just wanted to get some discussion on this before I picked a way forward. :)
>> Thanks for bringing this up. I think we should not allow spaces in view names.
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --

View raw message