couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <benja...@couchone.com>
Subject Spaces in View Names
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:52:51 GMT
Hi all,

It's currently possible to include space characters in View names, so
your map/reduce URL can (actually) look like this:
/db/_design/app/_view/
(there are 5 spaces at the end of that partial "URL")

Encoded it would look like this:
/db/_design/app/_view/%20%20%20%20%20

Needless to say this could be potentially quite confusing--though I
suppose we could consider it an obfuscation option. :/

Should this be considered a "bug" and avoided in future views? or just
considered an option that one should be careful when using?

This came to my attention as Futon currently adds %20's to the names
when displayed in dropdowns. Futon2, however, doesn't currently do
that--making it nearly impossible to click the name of the view
above--it at least looks like a bug in the UI.

Additionally, when editing documents with a view named with all spaces,
the keys are displayed as un-viewable whitespace until you edit that
chunk. In Futon2 it's currently impossible to edit that piece of the
document (as you can't click it).

As I'm working on Futon2, I'm wanting to determine what's the best way
to handle spaces in view names. Should they be removed as an option for
that portion of the URL going forward? Should Futon2 escape them in any
visual reference to them (as Futon1 currently does in most cases)?

Just wanted to get some discussion on this before I picked a way forward. :)

Thanks,
Benjamin