couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported versions?
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:50:11 GMT

On 31 Jan 2011, at 21:09, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2011, at 15:05, Nils Breunese wrote:
>
>> I saw CouchDB 1.0.2 fixes a security issue. Am I right that 0.11.x won't get this
fix? Is there an official statement somewhere on what 'series' of releases are currently supported?

> I would have said that anything we list on the downloads.html page is a support version.
That means that those versions should receive back-ports for bugs and security issues. I notice
that this has not happened for the 1.0.2 release and the subsequent security announcement.
I can only infer that the pre-1.0 line is no longer supported and should be removed from this
page.

> Thoughts, anyone?

It looks we dropped the ball here. Here's how I think it went:

IMHO, the general rule is supporting the current and previous release. We have referred to
that rule in the past. I'm not sure that is written down anywhere though. I think this is
a good policy either way.

We planned to have 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 come out at roughly the same time. As a result, I didn't
bother backporting the required patches to the 0.11.x line, effectively ending support. Now
1.0.2 is out and 1.1.0 isn't just yet (I hope soon though) so we effectively broke the rule.
I'll look into backporting the required patches to 0.11.x so people can at least do manual
fixes.

Does that sound like a sensible scenario?

Cheers
Jan