couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: code style
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:27:45 GMT
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to see, before getting started on any of this, an RFC-style document
/ wiki page that defines what a CouchDB plugins system looks like that we agree on implementing.

> If this were any/most other languages I would totally agree. Except
> Erlang is kinda laissez-faire when it comes to calling bits of code.
>
> Regardless of what the "plugin" system ends up looking like, it'll
> basically be the same API that's used all over couchdb internals.
> It'll be self-automatically stable once we make it not suck.
>
> *After* there's a system in place that allows plugins to exist without
> a carnal knowledge of the code base I think it would be good to
> explicitly formalize what we support as a plugin but until then we
> just don't make any claim of supporting anything as we start adding
> and organizing in preparation.

Imo the thing we could have in view, except this plugin "support", is
a simple api to call any part of couchdb we need. Something as simple
as the HTTP api but for erlang.

 I'm thinking to have a couchbeam pure erlang api for example just for
that. It would also help us to make new HTTP layer using webmachine
for example or anything. fabric an hovercraft are also good
inspiration. I'm pretty ready to do such thing. Does it worth a thread
to discuss about it?

- benoƮt