couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.2 Release, Round 3
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:23:34 GMT
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2011, at 13:03, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> In this case I don't care much if we record any of this (no objections either). What
I am after is that the fact that for reliable storage on Windows Erlang R14B1 is required
for 1.0.2 should be noted in a place where people downloading or reading up on 1.0.2 are looking
(i.e. the release announcement mail, which gets syndicated to many news sites as well as the
download page, where, duh, the download happens).

> Sure. But I'm just trying to clarify how we handle this, so that we can apply it to future
releases as well. If there's been a minimum required version in the past, we usually put it
in the README.

> We have never, to date, included any minimum version information in either the release
announcement or on the downloads page. If the community feels that this is important enough
in this case to warrant breaking with that convention, then so be it.

> But I'm trying to get a handle on when this is likely to happen again, so that we can
ratify it in our release procedure.

Of note is that Windows users don't actually care about this for the
most part. Its important to remember that the large majority of
Windows users will only be downloading the prebuilt binaries.
Therefore, seeing as very few people would actually be building
CouchDB on Windows, I would just update the README on whatever
branches that it requires R14B01.

And since we're not (to my knowledge) announcing Windows support on
this release, there's nothing left to really concern ourselves with.