couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: minimum required Erlang version
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:46:52 GMT
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi, the mochiweb we're shipping in 1.1.0 has abandoned support for R12B05, so
we should revisit our minimum required Erlang version.  Do we have a compelling reason for
supporting anything below R13B04?  That release introduces support for recursive type specifications,
which are useful when describing revision trees and JSON objects to dialyzer.

>>> Regards, Adam
>>
>> +1 for R13something.
>
> Paul, is there a NIF-based argument for a particular R13 release?  I know we don't use
NIFs in 1.1.x, but it'd be nice to limit the number of times we have to bump.

> Adam

There's nothing major that I remember in the R13 series. Maybe a few
bug fixes or something, but I'd have to look.

The major NIF jump was with R14. For instance, integrating Emonk requires R14.

Also, NIF's are awesome.