couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: minimum required Erlang version
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:53:51 GMT
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

so we should revisit our minimum required Erlang version.  Do we have a compelling reason
for supporting anything below R13B04?  That release introduces support for recursive type
specifications, which are useful when describing revision trees and JSON objects to dialyzer.

>>> +1 for R13something.
>>
>> Paul, is there a NIF-based argument for a particular R13 release?  I know we don't
use NIFs in 1.1.x, but it'd be nice to limit the number of times we have to bump.

>> Adam
>
> There's nothing major that I remember in the R13 series. Maybe a few
> bug fixes or something, but I'd have to look.
>
> The major NIF jump was with R14. For instance, integrating Emonk requires R14.
>
> Also, NIF's are awesome.

I stand corrected. Out of curiosity I went back and checked the
progression of NIF support. Turns out they're not even available until
R13B03. For some reason I thought the first version was in the last of
the R12's.

Also, in R13B04 there are some noticeable upgrades to things like NIF
function signatures and other bits that would be backwards
incompatible (also, no one uses the version from R13B03 anymore, so if
we wanted to backport something it'd be a major breakage).

So I revise my statement, I'd vote for R13B04 as the minimum. Also, it
has the nice symmetry of relying on the latest R$(MAJOR)B04 Erlang VM
which I declare to be the optimum balance between new features and
stability.