couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need feedback on validate_doc_read
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:46:32 GMT
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Bram Neijt <bneijt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After getting to know erlang the hard way, I've found a place to put
> in a patch and hook up validate_doc_read code.
>
> I've got a patch which implements a validate_doc_read in the same
> manner as validate_doc_update is implemented. The patch is available
> at
> https://github.com/bneijt/couchdb
>
> Things that are still on the TODO are the following:
> - Check the functioning when it comes to replication
> - Test the performance hit this will have on the server
> - Create a configuration option to enable or disable support for this
>
> An even bigger question is: is this a feature we would ever want in
> the mainstream couchdb releases? Is this something the couchdb team
> would like to support?
>
> But appart from that question, I would love some feedback on the
> implementation, the erlang and structure of it all, so please consider
> checking it out and posting some comments.
>
> Greets,
>
> Bram

Skimming that last commit everything looks sane. The answer to whether
we'd pull something like that into trunk pretty much depends on your
three questions. It was never implemented because we assumed that it'd
be a performance killer and no one wanted to try it out to see how bad
it was.

I'm not sure I'd like it to be configurable though. Being able to turn
something like that off doesn't seem like a good idea. Though, making
sure that the case where no design doc has a validate function doesn't
hurt performance would be close enough for most people I think.