couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Klaus Trainer <klaus.trai...@web.de>
Subject Re: CouchDB partitioning proposal
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:00:11 GMT
Hi guys!

My two cents:

If I had a few months to do some research in the area of Distributed
Programming and CouchDB, I'd take the thread "How fast do CouchDB
propagate changes to other nodes" on the user mailing list as an
inspiration (which I've just read).

For instance, one could do some research about the challenges of having
updates propagated in soft real time through a system of many loosely
connected CouchDB nodes that get a lot of updates independently of each
other. Maybe there's some room for optimizing CouchDB's replication, in
particular for such scenarios.

At first, in order to find out about different possible tradeoffs, one
would have to start comparing and evaluating different concepts.

For instance, one could find out about how replication things work, e.g.
in CouchDB and in Riak. In terms of finding common ancestors of subtrees
and detecting conflicts, there might be even a few things one could
learn from Git...

Anyway, you are welcomed to present new ideas! Or if not, some paper
that gives an in-depth description of an existing feature of CouchDB
(e.g. replication) would be great as well, as that provided insights for
people who are not familiar with that particular codebase.

Cheers,
Klaus