couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject tracking upstream dependencies
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:38:08 GMT
Hi all, there's a discussion in the 1.0.2 voting thread about better tracking of upstream dependencies
like mochiweb.  One point that keeps getting brought up is that build systems should not need
network access.  Is that a rule which applies to building from an SCM repo, or only to builds
of release artifacts?

I think we might be able to make our lives easier if we only bundled upstream dependencies
at release generation time, and otherwise relied on the build system to retrieve them.  For
a concrete example, BigCouch recently switched to using rebar for dependency resolution.
The main repo at https://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch only has the couch OTP application in
it, the other dependencies are pulled from forked git repositories containing CouchDB-specific
branches and tags such as https://github.com/cloudant/ibrowse/tree/CouchDB-1.0.1

If the no-network-access rule does apply to SCM builds, we might consider bundling full git
repos instead of doing the source code copy/paste dance.  At least this would allow a clearer
indication of where we stand w.r.t upstream.  Best,

Adam