couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: use view functions to emit changes
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:50:10 GMT

On 30 Nov 2010, at 13:05, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Filipe David Manana
> <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> 3) Avoid the unnecessary white-space only changes:
>>
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L2R396
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L2R477
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L3R255
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R60
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R85
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R247
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R503
>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L3R191
>

> about 2 & 3 can we add indent rules on top of our sources from now ?
> I think there is something common between vim and emacs for example.
> That should solve such errors. I don't want to change my config each
> time I'm using a project. Using such rules solves that automatically.
>
> Ex:
>
> %% -*- tab-width: 4;erlang-indent-level: 4;indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
> %% ex: ts=4 sw=4 et
>
> works on erlang and vim and surely other editors.

a) I don't mind adding these markers they it help anyone.
b) My editor and git tell me about trailing whitespace.
c) Because of b), these markers never helped me.

> About the 2 spaces
> in js, imo we should go to a 4 spaces indentations, which is a way
> more readable and more common. (Mozilla uses that rule.)

We agreed on two spaces early on:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Coding_Standards

Coding standards are not to find the best one, but to pick one and
stick to it.

Cheers
Jan