couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release 1.0.2
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 03:58:13 GMT
If you're referring to the COUCHDB-767 discussion, I don't think it was ever resolved.  I don't
want to revert the patch unless there is an operating system somewhere on which it actually
results in reduced durability.  I agree that it's icky to be relying on a property of fsync()
that is apparently not guaranteed by any specification, but it sucks to block readers just
to flush disk buffers.

As an aside, I'm having trouble reconciling Tso's statement in http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg21388.html
with the following from SUS v2:

> The fsync() function forces all currently queued I/O operations associated with the file
indicated by file descriptor fildes to the synchronised I/O completion state.

It doesn't say I/O operations associated with the file descriptor, it says I/O operations
associated with the file.  But far be it from me to question his interpretation of the spec;
he's written more filesystems than I've used in production.  Best,

Adam