couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: add plugin handling to the build system
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:15:30 GMT
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Following some kind of discussion on IRC, I would like to propose that
>> we had plugin handling to our build system. By plugin, I mean :
>>
>> - custom daemons
>> - handlers
>> - auth plugin,
>>
>> It implys that we are abble to add them dynamically to the build (and
>> eventually handling their dependancies) and that we manage insertionin
>> ini files if it's needed. Anyone have some experience or example using
>> autotools for that ? The only page I've found for now is this one :
>>
>>  - http://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/libtool/plugins.html
>>
>> Do we need to wait rebar integration ?
>>
>> - benoit
>>

> Could you be a tad more specific on what your use cases might be? I
> don't think that autotools is going to be too amenable to what you're
> wanting to do. Also, why do you need to distribute your plugin source
> as part of CouchDB?
>
> Something I could see is adding a couchdb-config script that allows
> plugin build systems to place their code on the code path that gets
> loaded and then they can just use the default.d and local.d
> directories.
>
> Paul

I would like to mak e easy integration  of plugin like geocouch, or
what any other kind of plugins like application server , or stuff like
it.

so yes maybe something like a pkg-config or stuff like it could work.
In this case that would imply to distribute plugins as separate
packages right ?  So the work would be to provide a common way to
packages to find couchdb includes ?

- benoit