couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.2 release, Round 1
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:34:14 GMT
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:30, Peter Lemenkov <> wrote:
> Much better scenario would be to disallow generally bad practice of
> bundling sources from different projects, but this would be painful
> because even many popular Linux distributions (not to mention of Mac
> OS X and Windoze)  lacks of good Erlang support right of the box.

The solution for that is a build system script to pull tarballs of the
web, not keeping full copies (in some cases not associated with any
upstream URL or revision -- for oauth) in the VCS, IMO. I can
understand that it made sense to bundle things while Couch was still
getting started, but it should be moving to using released upstream
versions. On Gentoo (where I maintain the ebuild) we definitely also
frown on bundled packages.

View raw message