couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org>
Subject Re: multi columns
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:45:32 GMT
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, sgoto <samuelgoto@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi couchdb,
>
>    are there any plans for supporting multi columns in couchdb  (eg update
> one column for a key without re writing the entire row) ?

I am not a CouchDB guru, but from reading the docs it is clear to me
the answer is no. For one thing, your proposed change would break the
"crash only" design of CouchDB, one of its best features. See here:

"""
On-disk, CouchDB never overwrites committed data or associated
structures, ensuring the database file is always in a consistent
state. This is a “crash-only” design where the CouchDB server does not
go through a shut down process, it’s simply terminated.
"""
http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html

If you want in-place updates, and you are ready to pay its price in
terms of reliability and/or deployment complexity, try MongoDB.

--
Luciano Ramalho
programador repentista || stand-up programmer