couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: use view functions to emit changes
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:32:34 GMT

>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L2R477
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L3R255
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R60
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R85
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R247
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L4R503
>>> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/commit/651e29e1bb767fb493bf75497623dae89bf9a5ad#L3R191
>>

>> about 2 & 3 can we add indent rules on top of our sources from now ?
>> I think there is something common between vim and emacs for example.
>> That should solve such errors. I don't want to change my config each
>> time I'm using a project. Using such rules solves that automatically.
>>
>> Ex:
>>
>> %% -*- tab-width: 4;erlang-indent-level: 4;indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
>> %% ex: ts=4 sw=4 et
>>
>> works on erlang and vim and surely other editors.
>
> a) I don't mind adding these markers they it help anyone.
> b) My editor and git tell me about trailing whitespace.
> c) Because of b), these markers never helped me.
>
>> About the 2 spaces
>> in js, imo we should go to a 4 spaces indentations, which is a way
>> more readable and more common. (Mozilla uses that rule.)
>
> We agreed on two spaces early on:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Coding_Standards
>
> Coding standards are not to find the best one, but to pick one and
> stick to it.

Coding standard are here to make the code more easy to share *between*
developers, this isn't just a convention. Sorry to disagree with the 2
spaces indentation.

While we are in coding standard , there is one I really think we
should follow "http://www.erlang.se/doc/programming_rules.shtml#REF14536"
. I think I can add for some, but need help for btree codes and view
server, anyone can help me on that ?

- benoît.